Summer Internships and Post-Graduation Job Placement Support
SFS students who have received scholarships are expected to secure a qualified summer cybersecurity internship and, following graduation, a full-time cybersecurity-related position. (Students who do not work for the government upon graduation will be required to refund the support.) These positions are encouraged to be in federal agencies, but may also be in state, local, or tribal agencies.
Many federal postings for permanent positions and some internship postings will appear on USAJobs; SFS students are encouraged to sign up for alerts. Positions in the intelligence community appear on https://www.intelligencecareers.gov/ as well as on the websites of individual agencies. Through the scholarship fund, SFS students will also attend the Virtual Career Fair and the regular Career Fair where they will meet with agency representatives looking to hire cybersecurity specialists.
The UA MIS department and the SFS scholarship fund also provide additional placement support to help SFS students find internships and positions that qualify for the scholarship requirements. Contact the MIS departmental Career Coordinator, Wendy Wienhoff at firstname.lastname@example.org for any placement-related questions and assistance, including:
- Resume reviews
- Interview practice sessions
- Federal application processes
- Searching the USAJOBS.gov website for relevant positions
- Identifying and searching agency websites, especially for students interested in working for any of the Federally Funded Research & Development Centers (Sandia, MITRE, Pacifica Northwest National Laboratory, etc.) as they don't use USAJOBS.
- Identifying State agencies that may have qualifying positions
Note that there is a significant amount of work involved in applying for government summer internships and full-time positions, and flexibility on where you are willing to live upon graduation is strongly recommended!
Below are additional resources for placement purposes.
Primary resource websites:
- Intelligence Careers
- OPM.gov home page
- Also check individual agency websites (including but not limited to those listed below)
Governmental agencies with cybersecurity initiatives and programs:
In addition to perusing USAJobs, some agencies provide information directly through their websites:
- Central Intelligence Agency
- Department of Defense, The Cyber Domain
- Department of Homeland Security – Cybersecurity Jobs
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- National Security Agency
Need to keep up with government issues, current events, and lingo? Try these:
- Cybersecurity and Information Systems Information Analysis Center (CSIAC)
- National Initiative for Cybersecurity Careers and Studies (NICCS)
- Government Executive
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP): https://www.isc2.org/cissp/Default.aspx; see also “Choosing the Right Credential” at: https://www.isc2.org/choosing-the-right-credential.aspx
- Global Information Assurance Certification (GIAC): http://www.giac.org/